Winter is not over yet, according to the weather forecasters. Met Éireann says we should brace ourselves for sub-zero temperatures over the coming week, and that snow is likely in many parts of the country. For van drivers and all other motorists too, that means taking even greater care than usual when driving in snow.
We’ve previously brought you tips for safe driving in freezing conditions. We’ve given advice on using winter tyres too. But also worth pointing out is that the Road Safety Authority recommends you carry a safety kit of certain items too, for use if an accident or breakdown occurs in freezing conditions or snow.
Safety kit for driving in snow check-list
Items they say you should carry in your vehicle include:
- High-vis vest
- Tow rope
- Spare bulbs
- Spare fuel
- Hazard warning triangle
- De-icing equipment (for glass and for door locks too)
- First aid kit
- Fire extinguisher
- Torch with spare batteries
- Mobile phone and charger
- Blanket, additional clothing, and food & water
The RSA also suggests that you consider carrying some salt or sand. Both can help get your vehicle moving again if you become stuck on ice or snow.
Most of the items on the check-list can be picked up for just a few euro, if you don’t already have them. It could be money well spent if an accident or breakdown occurs.
Your van insurance
Obviously, none of us ever wants to be in accident, in snow or any other weather. But if an accident does happen, then that’s where your van insurance comes into play.
We know you always want the best van insurance at the best price. That’s exactly what we deliver for you. We deal with all the major insurance providers in Ireland to get you the best quote, and we regularly deliver savings of 25% or more.
Other benefits of choosing us for your van insurance include:
- Windscreen cover *
- Breakdown/Roadside assistance *
- Legal expenses cover *
- Cover for driving other commercial vehicles *
- Mirror No Claims Bonus from your commercial vehicles or private car, to help save you even more
- Bonus protection available
- Contents cover available
- Open Driving cover available
- Irish-based contact centre to deal with your policy and answer any questions
- Low price and excellent customer service guarantee
* Available on selected policies only.